What is Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia, commonly known as a “Man boobs,” is a swelling or enlargement of glandular tissues in men or boys, which may affect one or both breasts.
This problem may sometimes cause breast pain in males besides feeling embarrassment and dissatisfaction with appearance.
Breast Enlargement problem is not severe; drugs can treat some cases while others need Breast Reduction Surgery.
Table Of Contents
What is Male Breast Reduction Surgery?
Male Breast Reduction Surgery, or known as Gynecomastia Surgery, is a cosmetic procedure for men with Gynecomastia, that aims to reduce the breast size and enhance the body contours by removing the excess breast tissues.
This procedure can improve your appearance and increase your self-confidence. However, it would help if you did not rush in the surgery before you exhaust all attempts to treat it by medication.
What Causes Gynecomastia?
Enlargement of the breast in men occurs as a result of low male hormone levels (Androgens) compared to the level of Female hormone (Estrogen) in man’s body.
- Some medications, such as used in the treatment of Prostate, high blood pressure, Anxiety, Cancer, and AIDS, in addition to antibiotics.
- Kidney failure.
- Liver problems.
- Alcohol and smoking.
- Poor diet.
- Aging process.
- Some of the herbals. Such as lavender or tea tree used in cosmetic products.
All the mentioned factors cause hormone imbalance, which increases the possibility of gynecomastia.
- Enlarged Breast Tissue in newborns: More than 50% of male babies are born with enlargement of the breast as a result of their mothers’ female hormone. Enlarged breasts fade within a month after birth.
- Expanded Breast Tissue in adulthood: During puberty, period occurs changes in the hormone, which may cause breast enlargement in males. In general, no need to treat it; this problem will go away within one to two years.
- Enlarged Breast Tissue in mid-age and over: During this period, breast enlargement is common in men, especially after age 50. Studies indicate that at age 50 to 80, one to four men have Enlarged Breast Tissue problem.
Breast enlargement usually appears in the nipple area and the area surrounding it. Both sides are affected by it, but in some cases, one breast may be affected more than the other.
While male breast cancer usually occurs on one side of the breast and does not only settle around the nipple.
Keep in mind that gynecomastia is a result of extra glandular tissues in the breast, which is different from the additional fat problem (Pseudo gynecomastia) caused by overweight.
It would be best to consult an endocrinologist to get the right diagnosis according to your status.
At HayatMed, we have highly skilled specialists and advanced types of medical equipment. We guarantee you to get the best medical services in Turkey.
In general, you cannot avoid enlarged breast tissue if it is related to medical problems such as a hormonal imbalance in the body.
However, if gynecomastia is a result of any medication, you may discuss with your specialist the alternatives to avoid enlarged breasts.
Before you rush in treating this problem, you must know that some types of enlarged breast tissue are transitory, which resolve on their own over time without treatment, such as teenage gynecomastia.
On the other hand, some cases can be treated by medications like testosterone replacement therapy, while others need a surgical solution.
Your specialist will explain during the consultation the effective way to treat your problem.
Male Breast Reduction Surgery Stages
1. Before the surgery:
You will meet your surgeon to discuss important points related to the procedure.
During the consultation, the surgeon will:
- Check your medical history by asking many questions like your medical problems, previous surgeries, and used medication.
- Examine the breast size, shape, nipple area, and sagging status.
- Determine the cause of this problem.
- Ask for an MRI scan and blood test.
- Expound the available techniques, expected results, side effects, and risks associated with breast lift procedure.
- Explain all instructions to follow them before and after the process.
On the other hand, you should tell the surgeon all your expectations and what the result you aspire.
Furthermore, be sure that you get all the answers to your questions before leaving the surgeon’s clinic so that you can make the right decision according to the diagnosis.
At the end of the consultation, the surgeon will inform you whether your problem requires breast reduction surgery or may treat with other options.
The surgeon will make incisions around the areola area. He/she will remove excess glandular tissues or skin, then reshape the nipples to be in the right location.
To complete the process, the surgeon will close the incision with sutures and cover your breasts with gauze.
This process can be done under local anesthesia or general anesthesia. It lasts for two to three hours.
After the surgery, you will be in the recovery room under observation by the medical crew. You can go home back on the same day, or you may need to stay for one night at the hospital, depending on the used type of anesthesia.
In case you need to stay at the hospital, it would be best if you had someone to be with you or HayatMed will offer someone to stay with you. Click here to get more information.
After the surgery, you will have a thin tube to discharge the blood and fluids. It will be removed after a few days.
You will experience swelling in the breast area, which will fade during the first month after the operation.
The surgeon will give you gto ensure a safe healing period,
- Wear loose clothes to avoid any contact with the breasts.
- Sleep on your back or sides to prevent any pressure on your chest.
- Avoid lifting any things heavy.
- Avoid sex for two weeks.
- Reduce smoking as possible.
- stay away from the sun’s rays.
- Avoid strenuous physical activities.
Furthermore, the surgeon will prescribe a painkiller to take it when it is needed and an antibiotic.
In general, the male breast reduction surgery recovery takes about two weeks. Then you can back to your daily routine. However, ask the doctor when you can do exercises and other physical activities.
Gynecomastia Surgery Results
Although the results of this surgery are immediate, the complications may need a month to fade except scars, which will not disappear totally.
The results of male breast reduction surgery are usually permanent unless some factors affect the breast size and shape like changes in hormones.
The final results take three to six months. Then you can enjoy attractive body appearance.
Male Breast Reduction Surgery Risks
Although gynecomastia surgery is a safe procedure, it may be associated with some risks,
- Pain and Numbness on your breasts area.
- Bruising and swelling.
- Sensation in both breasts and nipples may change.
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia.
- Permanent Scars, it will be visible but may fade over time.
- Blood clots.
- Accumulation of blood or fluids in the breast area.
Be sure to follow all the surgeon’s instructions to exceed the risks safely. So, if you feel any unfamiliar complications, call your surgeon immediately.
Male Breast Reduction Surgery Cost
Breast Reduction in Men cost is widely different from one place to another. It depends on some factors like the geographic hospital location and the surgeon’s experience.
HayatMed for cosmetic services, located in Istanbul, guarantee you to get the desired results besides affordable prices.
In Turkey, this procedure costs approximately $1,500 to $2,500. It is a competitive price compared with other places. For instance, the average cost of male breast reduction surgery is $3,978 in the USA.
While in the UK, it costs between £3,500 to £5,500.
When you get the price for gynecomastia surgery, be sure that it includes all the surgery fees.
HayatMed offers you a full fee package. Contact us immediately to get the exact price.
- Beauty & Health (2)
- Botox Injections (1)
- Brazilian Butt Lift (2)
- Breast Augmentation (2)
- Breast Implant (5)
- Breast Lift (2)
- Breast Reduction (1)
- Cancer Treatments (1)
- Dental Treatments (7)
- Dental Veneers (7)
- DHI (1)
- Eyelid Surgery (1)
- Face Aesthetic (2)
- Face Lift (3)
- Fat Transfer (2)
- Fertility Treatments (1)
- FUE (6)
- Gastric Bypass (2)
- Gastric Sleeve (1)
- Genital Procedures (2)
- Hair Transplant (11)
- LASIK (1)
- Liposuction (2)
- Liver Transplant (1)
- Mommy Makeover (1)
- Optics (1)
- Plastic Surgeries (11)
- PRP (1)
- Radiation Therapy (2)
- Rhinoplasty (4)
- Skin Care (3)
- Teeth Whitening (1)
- Tummy Tuck (3)
Get Free Consultation
Share the Article