What You Need to Know About Gastric Band Surgery
Many people who suffer from significant overweight or obesity feel hopeless of trying different ways to get rid of excess weight like following a healthy diet, exercise, and slimming medication, but unfortunately without any noticeable results of weight loss.
Recently, Weight Loss Surgery, also known as Bariatric Surgery, has become very common among both women and men all over the world.
There are several options for obesity treatment procedures, some of them surgical, while others are nonsurgical.
Gastric Band is a surgical procedure for obesity treatment.
It helps people who have significant overweight to limit the amount of daily food intake to lose weight and improve their health.
Table Of Contents
What is a Gastric Band Surgery?
Gastric Band, also known as Gastric Banding or Lap-Band, is performed by placing an adjustable band around the upper part of your stomach to create a small pouch to hold food.
It works by limiting the quantity of food intake to make you feel full faster than usual and lose weight as a result.
Are you the right candidate for the Lab Banding Surgery?
In general, this procedure may be the right choice for you if:
- Your body mass index score (BMI) is 40 or more
- Your body mass index score (BMI) is 35 or more, and you have health problems that may be recovered by losing weight.
- You have tried to lose weight by a healthy diet, exercise, and using slimming medicines for more than six months without any response.
- You can commit to regular check-ups and make changes in your lifestyle.
In some cases,
- You are less than 18 years old.
- You are addicted to alcohol or drug.
- Having had gastrointestinal problems like ulcers.
- You suffer from heart or lung diseases.
Keep in mind that you should not undergo any bariatric surgery before you try all the real attempts to lose weight, without any response.
Our experienced surgeons at HayatMed will determine your BMI score and carry out detailed estimation before deciding if which bariatric surgery is the best for you.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of this surgery?
Some benefits of Lap Banding Surgery:
- The possibility of long-term weight loss for people who suffer intense overweight.
- Comparatively fast recovery.
- Low chance of infections.
- Low risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, urinary incontinence, and other health problems related to overweight.
- No loss of nutrient absorption.
While the disadvantages are:
- Weight loss is less compared with other procedures like a Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass Surgery.
- There is still the risk of weight gain after the procedure.
What are the Lap Band Surgery side effects?
People tend to have a few risks as a result of this Surgery. This process has a low-risk chance.
The most common side effects after this procedure
- Nausea and vomiting, which can often be controlled by adjusting the tightness of the band.
- Mild bleeding.
- Band slipping
- Abdominal pain
In contrast to other weight loss surgery, this process does not clash with food absorption. So that, lack of vitamin is rare after lap band surgery.
How to prepare for Gastric Band Surgery?
Before scheduling the procedure, you need to meet
your surgeon who will:
- Make some physical examinations, stomach endoscopy, and will also ask for different lab tests.
- Check your medical history by asking many questions like your medical problems, previous surgeries, gastrointestinal problems, and used medication.
- Explain to you all the advantages besides the disadvantages related to this operation.
If you qualify for the surgery, the doctor will ask you to follow some instructions on how to prepare yourself for the procedure,
- Stop using some medications one day before, like aspirin, to avoid bleeding.
- Follow a specific low-fat diet before a few days of the procedure.
- Refrain from food and beverages 12 hours before the treatment.
You must be sure that you choose the right surgeon who can achieve the desired results away from medical mistakes.
At HayatMed, you are in the hands of the best bariatric surgeons. Click here to get your free consultation.
What to expect during the Lap Band Surgery procedure?
The process will be performed under general anesthesia, so you will not feel any pain.
The surgeon will start by making several small incisions in the abdomen. With these incisions, they will place a tiny camera (laparoscope) in your belly, which allows the surgeon to see inside your stomach.
Then the surgeon will put a band around the upper part of the stomach to create a small pouch with a narrow opening that goes into the larger, lower part of your stomach.
Next, they will connect the band to an injection port which used to loosen or tighten the band and then stitch this port just under your skin.
To complete the surgery, the surgeon will close the cuts in your abdomen with dissolvable stitches.
Lap Band Surgery usually takes 30 to 60 minutes and does not include any cutting or stapling inside your abdomen.
What to expect after the Surgery?
The lap band surgery recovery differs with everyone. In general, this operation offers shorter hospital care and quicker healing period than some other bariatric procedures like Gastric Bypass Surgery.
After the process, you will be in a recovery room, where the medical crew will monitor you for any complications. You often can go back home after a few hours of the surgery or rarely may stay for one night if needed.
You will experience some pain and discomfort. No worries, the surgeon will prescribe painkillers, and these feelings will fade during hours.
Furthermore, the surgeon will ask you to follow a strict diet during the first month after the process,
- For the first week after the process, you will begin a liquid diet like soups.
- Until the end of four weeks, liquids and pureed foods like pureed vegetables and yogurt.
- After the first month, you can start eating regular food.
You can return to work after one week while you can usually resume your regular activity after about six weeks.
How much does Gastric Band Surgery cost?
When you consider the essential factors related to any medical procedure, the cost is one of the most important points.
Weight loss procedures are considered expensive treatments so that you need to choose a place where you can combine affordable prices with high-quality services.
Recently, Istanbul has become the destination for many people from over the world to get medical services.
The reasons behind that are the competitive prices compared with other places, the highly skilled doctors, and the distinctive medical services.
Noteworthy is that the surgery’s cost in some places may not include all fees, such as aftercare services and anesthesia.
At HayatMed, which located in Istanbul, be sure that you will get the results you’ve desired by highly skilled doctors.
Furthermore, we offer you an all-inclusive fee package.
With us, you can be sure that you are in the hands of medical experts who can achieve the results you aspire.
Share The Article