What You Need to Know About Gastric Band Surgery
Many people who suffer from significant overweight or obesity feel hopeless about trying different ways to get rid of excess weight, like following a healthy diet, exercising, and slimming medication, but unfortunately without any noticeable weight loss results.
Recently, Weight Loss Surgery, also known as Bariatric Surgery, has become very common among women and men worldwide.
There are several options for obesity treatment procedures, some of them surgical, while others are non-surgical.
Gastric Band is a surgical procedure for obesity treatment.
It helps people who have significantly overweight limit daily food intake to lose weight and improve their health.
Table Of Contents
What is a Gastric Band Surgery?
Gastric Band, also known as Stomach Band or Lap Band Surgery, is performed by placing an adjustable band around the upper part of your stomach to create a small pouch to hold food.
It works by limiting food intake to make you feel full faster than usual and lose weight.
Are you the right candidate for Lab Banding Surgery?
In general, this procedure may be the right choice for you if:
- Your body mass index score (BMI) is 40 or more
- Your body mass index score (BMI) is 35 or more, and you have health problems that may be recovered by losing weight.
- You have tried to lose weight by a healthy diet, exercise, and using slimming medicines for more than six months without any response.
- You can commit to regular check-ups and make changes in your lifestyle.
In some cases,
- You are less than 18 years old.
- You are addicted to alcohol or drug.
- Having had gastrointestinal problems like ulcers.
- You suffer from heart or lung diseases.
Remember that you should not undergo any bariatric surgery before trying all the actual attempts to lose weight without any response.
Our experienced surgeons at HayatMed will determine your BMI score and carry out detailed estimation before deciding if bariatric surgery is the best for you.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of lap band surgery?
Some benefits of stomach band surgery:
- The possibility of long-term weight loss for people who suffer intense overweight.
- Comparatively fast recovery.
- Low chance of infections.
- Low risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, urinary incontinence, and other health problems related to being overweight.
- No loss of nutrient absorption.
While the disadvantages are:
- Weight loss is less than other procedures like a Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass Surgery.
- There is still the risk of weight gain after the procedure.
What are the Lap Band Surgery side effects?
People tend to have a few risks as a result of this Surgery. This process has a low-risk chance.
The most common side effects after lap band surgery
- Nausea and vomiting can often be controlled by adjusting the band’s tightness.
- Mild bleeding.
- Band slipping
- Abdominal pain
In contrast to other weight loss surgery, this process does not clash with food absorption. So, lack of vitamin is rare after lap band surgery.
Lap Band before and after
Our Clinic reviews
This is the second time I have used the medical services of the Hiatmed company in Istanbul and I must point out that I have received a commendation in all aspects. The most advanced medical services, professional and pleasant doctors, the most advanced equipment in the world, service, warranty, personal response, fast, reliable! The people themselves are charming. Highly recommend their services! Everything they promised and said was done exactly
Such a great experience, they organised everything so well, they didn't let me alone during the process, I ve been really well treated. I came for a rhinoplasty from Spain on my own and the team was there for me during the whole stayment. The hospital is very professional and clean. Everything went right. Thanks to them for helping me and assisting me in everything.
I had a gastric botox injection 7 months ago and till now it was an incredible result, thanks to the doctor and all the team
HayatMed Clinic has very professional and friendly staff. I had a lot of doubts about Rhinoplasty operation. They answered all my questions patiently. They took care of everything from beginning to end. Pre-planned an amazing doctor and a hospital, picked me up at the airport, provided me with a variety of hotels to pick from, showed me around the amazing city and many more. My doctor was very caring and competent. He explained to me everything about the operation and medical procedures in detail. Hospital was sparkling clean. Overall, I have been extremely happy with the service I received. I would have given 10 stars if I could!
How to prepare for Gastric Band Surgery?
Before scheduling the procedure, you need to meet
your surgeon who will:
- Make some physical examinations stomach endoscopy and ask for different lab tests.
- Check your medical history by asking many questions like your medical problems, previous surgeries, gastrointestinal problems, and used medication.
- Explain to you all the advantages besides the disadvantages related to this operation.
Then, if you qualify for the surgery, the doctor will ask you to follow some instructions on how to prepare yourself for the procedure,
- Stop using some medications one day before, like aspirin, to avoid bleeding.
- Follow a specific low-fat diet before a few days of the procedure.
- Refrain from food and beverages 12 hours before the treatment.
You must be sure that you choose the right surgeon to achieve the desired results from medical mistakes.
At HayatMed, you are in the hands of the best bariatric surgeons.
What to expect during the Lap Band Surgery procedure?
The process will be performed under general anesthesia, so you will not feel any pain.
The surgeon will start by making several small incisions in the abdomen. With these incisions, they will place a tiny camera (laparoscope) in your belly, which allows the surgeon to see inside your stomach.
Then the surgeon will put a band around the upper part of the stomach to create a small pouch with a narrow opening that goes into the more significant, lower part of your stomach.
Next, they will connect the band to an injection port to loosen or tighten the band and then stitch this port just under your skin. To complete the surgery, the surgeon will close the cuts in your abdomen with dissolvable stitches. Lap Band Surgery usually takes 30 to 60 minutes and does not include cutting or stapling inside your abdomen.
What to expect after stomach band Surgery?
The lap band surgery recovery differs for everyone. But, in general, this operation offers shorter hospital care and a quicker healing period than some other bariatric procedures like Gastric Bypass Surgery.
After the process, you will be in a recovery room, where the medical crew will monitor you for any complications. You can often go back home after a few hours of the surgery or rarely stay for one night if needed.
You will experience some pain and discomfort. But, no worries, the surgeon will prescribe painkillers, and these feelings will fade during hours.
Furthermore, the surgeon will ask you to follow a strict diet during the first month after the process,
- You will begin a liquid diet like soups for the first week after the process.
- Until the end of four weeks, liquids and pureed foods like pureed vegetables and yogurt.
- After the first month, you can start eating regular food.
You can return to work after one week, while you can usually resume your regular activity after about six weeks.
How much does lap Band Surgery cost?
When you consider the essential factors related to any medical procedure, the cost is one of the most critical points.
Like any other obesity procedure, the cost of a gastric balloon varies from one place to another.
- The individual needs
- the used balloon.
- The geographic hospital location.
- The surgeon’s experience.
The average cost of this procedure in the USA ranges between $8,700 to $29,000, while according to National Health Service (NHS), lap band surgery costs in the UK range between £4,000 to £8,000
Weight loss procedures are considered expensive treatments, so you need to choose a place to combine affordable prices with high-quality services.
Recently, Istanbul has become the destination for many people worldwide to get medical services.
The reasons behind that are the competitive prices compared with other places, the highly skilled doctors, and the specific medical services.
Noteworthy is that the surgery’s cost in some places may not include all fees, such as aftercare services and anesthesia. At HayatMed, located in Istanbul, be sure that you will get the results you’ve desired from highly skilled doctors.
Furthermore, we offer you an all-inclusive fee package. With us, you can be sure that you are in the hands of medical experts who can achieve the results you aspire.
Contact us to get the exact cost of Gastric Band Surgery, or click here to go back to the other obesity procedures. Click here to get more information about Gastric Sleeve for Weight Loss or go back to the Obesity Category.
Share the Article
Gastric Sleeve vs. Bypass Evey Thing you Need to Know. Bariatric surgery might be the logical next step when your