All Information About the types of Dental Crowns, reasons, procedure, Types of Zirconia Crowns, advantages and disadvantages and cost
Table Of Contents
What Is a Dental Crown?
Dental Crown, or known as a cap, is a treatment in dentistry that aims to replace damaged teeth.
It also can be used to protect weak teeth from more damage or to improve the teeth’ appearance, like correcting teeth discolored.
The crown usually covers the remaining tooth part above the gum line, or it can be placed onto the tooth implant.
Teeth Crowns can be made of various types of materials. The most common type is Zirconia Crowns.
To better understand the different types of dental crowns zirconia, do not hesitate to contact HayatMed to get more information about this dental treatment.
What Are The Types of Dental Crowns Zirconia?
Some of the materials used to make teeth crowns are:
All kinds of metal can be used for crowns, including gold and chromium and others. Metal teeth crowns last for a long time and require a small amount of tooth to be removed.
They also withstand biting and chewing pressure. The main disadvantage of this type is the metallic color. They may be the right choice for rear molars.
Porcelain or Ceramic crowns
achieve the best color match with your natural teeth, so they are the right choice for front teeth. However, Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns are usually stronger than porcelain type.
are the cheapest types compared with the other materials, but they may slip over time and more probably break than porcelain or metal crowns.
These teeth crowns can be matched to your natural teeth color. They can be the right choice for both front or back teeth.
The main cons of this type are that the metal under the crown’s porcelain cap may be visible through as a dark line.
Furthermore, the porcelain part of the crown can chip or break off, and there is more teeth erosion of beside the crown.
Nowadays, they are the most popular dental crowns. Most of the dentists advise their patients with this type due to excellent strength, durability, and superior aesthetics.
You need to meet your dentist to determine the appropriate type according to your needs.
Contact HayatMed to get your free consultation. You’ll be satisfied with our dental technology and the expert dentists who guarantee you stunning results.
What are Teeth Crowns?
It is one type of dental crown that is made of Zirconia, also called Zirconium, which is a durable material that can withstand the wear and tear of everyday use.
It is a white powdered metal that reflects light in the same way as your natural tooth.
Solid zirconia is stronger than the high translucent zirconia. It can withstand chewing and grinding forces better. It suits the root canal treated tooth, which offers stronger support to a weak tooth.
As it’s nontransparent, it’s appropriate for rear teeth.
2.High Translucent Zirconia
This type gives you excellent looks that exactly look like your natural teeth. It is more suitable for front teeth.
In case you need orthodontic treatment to correct your teeth alignment, your dentist will not prefer high translucent zirconia.
What Are The Zirconia Crowns Advantages?
It is one of the most used types of dental crowns.
It has many advantages like:
- Unique look: Zirconium has a white color; naturally, it allows the conversion to any shade to suit the color of your remaining teeth.
- Confident smile: Zirconium doesn’t contain any metal. Porcelain fused to metal crowns, which were popular before, have a metal layer under the porcelain layer, so the metal lining is usually visible at the gum line. With the Zirconia type, this problem will not exist.
- Extraordinarily Strength: Zirconia is the strongest type of dental crown. It can withstand wear and chip.
- Metal-free: The cosmetic effects of a zirconia crown are the most significant advantage it can give. It functions like a natural tooth, so it is preferable, especially if you will replace the front teeth.
- Safe material: Patients who have had a zirconia crown did not report any allergy problems. Zirconium is a safe material and can remain in your mouth forever.
- They are well linked to your teeth.
What Are The Zirconia Crowns Disadvantages?
Although they have many pros, they have some disadvantages,
- High cost: They cost you more than other types of crowns. However, It will stay in your mouth forever.
- May cause wearing out the opposite teeth: as these kinds of crowns are very hard, they may wear out your natural teeth.
- Teeth decay: the crown itself will be indestructible; the decay under it may be caused by the attrition of the solid material against the other teeth.
Why Are Teeth Crowns Used?
You may need teeth crowns for the following reasons:
- To cover the teeth implants.
- To cover teeth which treated with a root canal.
- Protect weak teeth from damaging or from decay.
- To cover the misshaped teeth.
- Retrieve broken teeth or worn teeth.
- To hold a dental bridge in place.
How Is Dental Crown fitted?
Fitting the crown will usually require two visits to your dentist. During the procedure, the area of the treatment will be under the effect of the local anesthesia, so you will not feel any pain.
At the first appointment, your dentist will assess the tooth, its root, and the surrounding area using the x-ray scan.
If it is needed, the dentist will treat a root canal before fitting a crown.
Furthermore, he or she will treat any infection or inflamed tissue.
The area under the tooth must be as clean and healthy before fitting the crown.
If your tooth is still as its original size, your dentist will shape it to allow the cap to fit in line with the rest teeth and not affect the occlusion.
Then he or she will take a dental impression of the abutment and the surrounding teeth and send it to the laboratory.
This step will usually take around two to three weeks so that the dentist will provide you with a temporary crown.
Once it is ready, you will revisit the dentist, who will attach the crown onto the remaining part of the tooth using dental cement.
How long Do Zirconia Crowns Last?
In general, teeth crowns usually last between five to fifteen years, depending on your lifestyle and teeth care routine.
However, Zirconia Crowns is the most durable type of crown. It may stay forever.
Teeth grinding puts pressure on a crown, which may cause damage. If you suffer from grinding or clenching, inform your dentist who may provide you with a mouthguard to protect your crown.
Does a Dental Crown Require Special Care?
Teeth Crown does not require any special care. However, you must continue to follow good oral care by brushing and flossing your teeth twice per day, flossing daily, especially the area around the crown and the area where the crown links to the gum line.
How Much Does Dental Crown Cost?
The cost of the teeth crowns vary depending on several factors:
- Used type of the crown.
- Used materials quality.
- The dentist’s experience.
- The clinic region.
In Turkey, you can achieve both stunning results and affordable prices for any cosmetic procedure. It is the right destination to improve your appearance and enjoy the beauty of the place.
HayatMed for medical services, located in Istanbul, is equipped with the latest medical technologies to provide you with the best services besides the competitive prices.
Regarding dental procedures, Our dentists have extensive experiences and have achieved stunning results in the dental service field.
Share The Article
Get Free Consultation