DHI hair transplant is one of the most common hairs restoration treatments, besides the other transplantation techniques such as FUT and FUE.
Before going deeply into DHI, we will give you a quick look at The difference between FUT and FUE hair transplant techniques:
- FUT hair transplant (Follicular Unit Transplant) involves removing a linear strip of hair from the back of the scalp (the donor region) and extracting its hair follicles.
- FUE hair transplant (Follicular Unit Extraction) involves extracting hair follicles directly from the donor area and implanting it to the recipient area.
In both methods, donor follicles are implanted into the bald or thinning areas to restore growth. The surgeon opens channels into the scalp before inserting the grafts.
What Is a DHI?
Direct hair implantation (DHI) is a modified version of the FUE method, whereas, In FUE, a surgeon cuts channels in your scalp manually before implanting follicles. While in the DHI technique, they use a specialized pen-shaped tool that can do both steps simultaneously.
Potential Candidates for DHI Technique
The best candidates for hair implantations are the people who have androgenic alopecia, the most common type of hair loss.
Also, you consider a good candidate for hair transplantation if you have the following characteristics:
- Age: You should be over age 25 because hair loss before this age is more unpredictable.
- Hair diameter: If you have thick hair, that means you have a higher chance to achieve better results than people with thinner hair because the thicker hair gives each hair follicle more coverage.
- Donor area: The more hair follicles in the donor area are denser, the more they increase Hair transplant success rate
- Hair color: If you have light hair or a hair color close to your skin tone, you often achieve the best results.
- Expectations: You should have realistic expectations, so you often will be satisfied with their results.
At HayatMed Clinic Turkey, we have highly skilled Plastic Surgeons in the plastic surgery field. In addition to the experienced medical crew and the clinic equipped with advanced technologies. Click here to get an appointment for a free consultation.
Hair Transplant Pre-Procedure Instructions
Your surgeon will talk with you about some essential points that you should pay attention to before undergoing surgery, such as:
- Wash and clean your hair and scalp well.
- Avoid using hair styling products like hair gel or hair spray, etc.,
- Provide the doctor with all the information about your medical history and the medicines that you take.
- Stop taking blood-thinning medicines at least one week before the operation.
- Discontinue tobacco, alcoholic drinks, and caffeine.
- Do not forget to wear clothes that you can easily remove from the head on the operation day.
The DHI Hair Treatment Procedure
The surgery involves the following steps:
- Before the surgery starts, and based on the pre-determined plans, the surgeon will draw your new hairline on your head.
- The following step is the injection of long-lasting local anesthesia on the donor area. In addition, you may request a sedative to become more comfortable because the hair transplant is a long-time process.
- Your surgeon will start the follicular extraction process using a particular device with a diameter of 1 mm.
- The doctor will be immediately implanted into the recipient site as soon as follicles are extracted.
- Skipping the incision step, the surgeon will load the Choi pen with the extracted hair follicles and directly implant them into your targeted area.
- They will place the hair follicles with utmost diligence as it requires an accurate direction and, again, 40- 45 degrees. Again, the doctor’s experience and skill become prominent at this point.
After the procedure
the medical staff will inform you what kind of an aftercare routine you should follow on your doctor’s instructions.
They will also give you all the necessary recovery requirements, such as medications and special shampoos.
The DHI procedures usually last about 5-8 hours. However, the length can differ depending on the number of transplanted follicles.
Furthermore, patients with advanced pattern baldness will need more extensive treatment than others with a mildly receding hairline.
Real expectations must be met because the DHI result does not appear immediately. However, you will start to notice hair growth at least 5 to 6 months after the procedure.
Furthermore, you must expect hair loss to happen throughout the weeks after the operation; You don’t need to panic; your hair will be back gradually, both in the donor and transplanted area.
Finally, remember that the results vary from patient to patient and depend on the person’s natural hairline in addition to your general health situation and lifestyle.
Read More: Maintenance After Hair Transplant
DHI Hair Transplant in Turkey from £999
Packages include all medical fees, accommodation, airport transfers, and personal host.
Why HayatMed Clinic For DHI Hair Transplant in Turkey
DHI hair transplant side effects
Side effects of hair transplant that differ based on the method. Hair transplantation is safe in most cases, and complications are rare. However, DHI could also lead to the following risks:
- Inflamed follicles
- random growth surrounding donor areas
In addition to the following complications:
Rarely, it can occur in the donor areas or in the scalp where follicles are implanted.
- Hair Loss
Shock hair loss is a common side effect and often a healthy part of the growth process. It occurs within six weeks of the procedure, but recovery usually takes four months.
- Anesthesia’s bad reactions
Most patients will be fine, but anesthesia can trigger adverse effects once in a while.
- Unsatisfying Result
Your surgeon must implant follicular units in a pattern that matches your natural growth. Otherwise, the results can appear unsatisfactory and unreal. Before undergoing a hair transplant, you should research surgeons and check reviews to find the best option.
Browse our photo galleries for DHI hair transplants before and after procedures.
DHI hair transplant cost
DHI hair transplant price is based on:
- The number of required follicles.
- The clinic’s location (for example, clinics in the UK can be expensive).
- The clinic’s name (more prominent names with vast skill and experience may command higher rates).
The most costly DHI procedures have been applied in the UK. For example, if you get an average DHI hair transplantation in the UK, prices might reach more than £15,000, while costs between 10000 – 15000 USD in the USA, according to the HealthLine website.
In European countries, the procedure cost starts from 4000 € any it may reach more than 8000 € depending on the case.
In general, hair transplant prices in European countries are sometimes affordable and sometimes very expensive, depending on the procedure and the country. However, by comparing the prices in Europe, the best hair transplant can see it done in Turkey.
In European countries, the procedure cost may reach up to 8000 €, whereas the hair transplant cost in Turkey ranges from 1700 USD to 3500 USD depending on the required method.
This information explains why most patients who suffer from hair loss travel for their DHI hair transplantation procedure.
Does DHI heal quicker?
DHI hair transplant recovery time is usually faster compared to other methods. For example, it takes only 3-4 days to get rid of the scalp crusting if you undergo the DHI technique.
Many patients return to their jobs days after the procedure.
Is DHI hair transplant the best?
The DHI method allows doctors to make incisions in the scalp and implant grafts at once. Both DHI and FUE methods avoid the long scar caused by FUT; however, they generally take longer and are more costly.
Clinics that provide DHI claim that it’s the most effective and advanced hair treatment option.
Is DHI hair transplant permanent?
Direct hair implantation is a successful treatment for people looking for natural-looking hair transplant techniques.
After the expected recovery time, you will not experience hair loss, and your hair will stay with you forever.
What percentage of DHI grafts survive?
The survival rate of hair follicles through the DHI method reaches up to 90% because it is an easily performed procedure and provides safe and healthy results to the patients.
Is DHI better than FUE?
Nowadays, the most preferred hair transplant methods are FUE and DHI. However, both techniques have differences compared to each other and some similarities.
The grafting process is the same in both methods. First, the surgeon picks up the follicles one by one firmly from the donor area.
After grafting, the procedure in the FUE technique is different from DHI.
In FUE, your doctor will open channels in the bald area first. During this time, grafts are placed inside a particular solution. After the channel opening process is completed, follicles are placed into these channels one by one.
While In the DHI hair treatment, there is no separate channeling process. Instead, the Choi pen creates channels in suitable depths and plants grafts into these channels.
DHI provides unique advantages, such as:
- With Choi pens, a much denser plantation is possible. For example, using the pen helps the surgeon plant 80-90 grafts in 1-2 cm compared with 45-55 grafts in the same area in the FUE method.
- With the pen, channels are opened precisely for each graft. So, unnecessarily wide channels are not opened.
- The recovery period is much faster.
- DHI hair transplant results look more natural.
- Less bleeding occurs.
- Often DHI hair transplant without shaving.
- While In the DHI hair treatment, there is no separate channeling process. Instead, the Choi pen creates channels in suitable depths and plants into these channels.
Is DHI more expensive than FUE?
A doctor cuts a series of channels manually in your scalp during the FUE method to insert hair follicles. While DHI technique helps surgeons make the cuts and transplant hair simultaneously using the Choi pen.
However, the DHI procedure usually takes longer and is more expensive than FUE.